Common Population Selection
The Common Population Selection SWRUESL allows you to specify a population of all students enrolled in specific courses based on one or more CRN's.
Many Banner-users use the SWRUESL report together with GWR3PAL, which allows users to print mailing labels based on your population onto Avery 5160 standard mailing labels. Details are below.
For an overview of the population selection process, please refer to the Population Selection Overview page.
- From the Banner Main Menu, type GLBDATA, then press Enter.
- Click the Go button and then Next Section icon, then complete the parameters as shown below.
What to Type
01 Selection Identifier 1
02 Selection Identifier 2
Leave Parameters 02 – 05 blank
03 New Selection Identifier
04 Description for New Selection
06 Application Code
07 Creator ID for Selection ID
08 Detail Execution Report
We suggest leaving this blank
3. After completing the parameter entries above, click the Next Sectionicon again, then click the Save button.
You will see this message on the bottom of your screen: "Dynamic Parameters Found, please fill in the appropriate values." Your cursor will be resting on Parameter Number 88. These are called Dynamic Parameters.
4. Complete these additional "dynamic" parameters (Parameter #88):
|Dynamic Parameter||What to Type||Options/Examples|
|88 Term||Enter the Term Code for the term that corresponds to the CRN(s) you are using to create your population. |
Only one term can be entered.
|Example: 201202 for Spring 2012|
CRN(s) for the courses you want your population selection to be based on.
Up to 3 CRN's can be entered.
|Example: for three Spring term classes -- ('24121','24215','21157')|
(Note the single-quotation marks, commas, and parentheses in example above.)
|88 Attendance Method||The Attendance Method Code for the department that set up the classes in question.|
(Or, you can type % if you don't want to specify the attendance method.)
|Example: N4 for Alternative Programs|
5. After the above dynamic parameters have been entered, click the Next Sectionicon, then click the Save button.
Unless you have made an error, you will see the following message at the bottom of the screen: Look for Printout in yourname_glbdata_99999.lis.
6. Open Report Viewer to view a summary of your population selection.
The report will show the number of individuals who match the criteria you specified:
QUERY DESCRIPTION SELECTED
SWRUESL Description of Report 23
If the number of people selected reads “0”, your population selection was unsuccessful. Go back to GLBDATA and re-enter your parameters, carefully following the above directions. If the number of people selected seems correct, continue on to Step 2.
Step 2: Create Reports Based On Your Population
Once you have successfully specified your population, you are ready to create reports based on the population you created above. Most population selections can be “outputted” to create any or all of the following reports. The Mailing Labels report (GWR3PAL) below is the one used for creating mailing labels:
- Mailing Labels (GWR3PAL)
- Population Demographic List (GWRPLST) to print or download to Excel/Access
- Population Earned Credits List (SWRPLST) to print or download to Excel/Access
- Unofficial Transcripts (SWRUNOF)
- Student Schedules (SFRSCHD)
- Grade Mailers (SWRGRDP)
- Classes Registered For (SWRPOPR)