Creating a COMBINED Population Selection
Using this variation of the Population Selection process, Banner-users can combine two populations to create a subset of the two groups. For example, the population "all students who took classes in a certain subject, at a certain campus" can be combined with "all students who graduated within a certain range of dates."
Parameter 05 in the Banner form GLBDATA is what determines how the two populations in your Combined Population Selection will be combined or compared. Here are the three choices:
Selects everyone from the two populations without duplicating names
Selects only those who appear in both populations
Selects only those who appear in the first population but not the second
The two populations you select must be part of the same "application" -- such as STUDENT or HR.
- From the Banner Main Menu, type GLBDATA, then press Enter on your keyboard.
- Click the Go button and then Next Section
- On the right side of the Parameter Values section, type in the parameters you want. Use this table as a guide. You will need to know the names and other details about the two Population Selections you want to combine.
What to Put
01 Selection Identifier 1
Enter the name of the first Population Selection you wish to specify.
(For a list of Common Population Selections, refer to this page.)
02 Selection Identifier 2
Enter the name of the second Population Selection you wish to specify.
03 New Selection Identifier
Make up a title for your Combined Population Selection.
Use underscores_ and CAPS in your made-up title (no spaces or "odd" characters like %, &, or @)
04 Description for New Selection
Type a brief description of your combined population.
(Non-capital letters and spaces are allowed in this parameter.)
Example: Grads in Prep Prog 11-12
Choose one of the following three processes for combining your two populations:
U (Union) = Everyone in both lists, without duplicates
I (Intersect) = Only people on both lists
M (Minus) = Only those on the first list not appearing on the second list
06 Application Code
Type the "application" you are working with -- STUDENT, HR, etc.
07 Creator ID for Selection ID
For all COMMON Populations, type COMMON.
08 Detail Execution Report
We recommend leaving this blank
- After completing all entries in the parameters as indicated above, click the Next Section icon.
- Click the Save button.
- You will see a message at the bottom left of your screen: Dynamic Parameters Found, please fill in the appropriate values. Your cursor will be resting on Parameter Number 88. You will note that new parameters have been added which are unique to the two Population Selections with which you are working. Complete the new parameters.
Dynamic Parameters must be entered in a specific way. If you are using Common Population Selections, refer to the directions for your specific populations for details. (Click on the Population Selection titles on the Common Population Selection page for more information.)
- After your dynamic parameters have been entered, click Next Section
You have completed this part of the process when you see a message like this on the bottom left of your screen: "Look for Printout in yourname_glbdata_99999.lis." , then click Save again.
- Open Report Viewer to view your report.
(For more information about saving reports, including saving your parameters for a future time, see the Banner Report Help page.)
A summary of your population selection will be displayed, which will look something like this:
If the number of people selected reads “0”, your population selection was unsuccessful. Go back to GLBDATA and re-enter your parameters, carefully following the above directions.
Step Two: Create "Output Data" (Reports)
Once you have successfully completed the above steps, you are ready to create reports based on the combined population you have created. Most population selections can be “outputted” to create any or all of the following reports:
- Mailing Labels (GWR3PAL) for Combined Population Selection
- Population Demographic List (GWRPLST) for Combined Population Selection
- Population Earned Credits List (SWRPLST)
- Unofficial Transcripts (SWRUNOF) for Combined Population Selection
- Student Schedules (SFRSCHD) for Combined Population Selection
- Grade Mailers (SWRGRDP) for Combined Population Selection