Downloading Banner Reports into Excel or Word
Banner Report Viewer offers the option of downloading reports and opening / converting them into Microsoft Excel or Word format. This is a two-step process:
- Downloading your report from Banner onto your computer
- Converting your report into Excel or Word
Although most Banner reports can be downloaded successfully, the most download-friendly reports end in the suffix .dat or .txt. Thus, after running a report such as the Downloadable Roster report (SWRRSTR), look in your Report Viewer for the title ending in ".dat" or ".txt when deciding which report to download. See our list of the most download-friendly reports.
Step 1: Downloading Your Report
The first step of downloading the report from Banner onto your computer is the same for Excel or Word.
- Run your report in Banner, then open Report Viewer and locate the name of your completed report.
- For help logging into Report Viewer, see the Banner Report Viewer page.
- Click on the "download" option in Report Viewer -- the right-most option on the list.
- If you are asked whether you want to Open or Save the report, choose SAVE.
- Some users will see a message in the bottom portion of their window asking if they want to "Open" or "Save" this report. Choose SAVE. Other users will not be asked; the report will automatically be saved.
4. Depending on your computer setup , you may see a “Save As” window next, asking you to specify the folder or drive on your computer where you wish to save the report. If you do get this "Save As" window:
- Click on the folder or drive where you wish to save the file.
- Rename your file, if desired, to make it easier to locate the report later.
If you are not asked to specify where your report should be saved, you can continue on to the next steps or verify that it was saved onto your computer.
5. In some cases a mini-window may appear which says "Download Complete." If it does, close the window by clicking on the "Close" button.
Firefox download area
Chrome download area.
Step 2: Converting Your Report into Excel Format
When you follow the directions in Step 1 above, the report is saved onto your computer as a .lis or .dat file. When you open Word or Excel and perform the following additional steps, the report will be converted into Word or Excel format.
Open a new, blank Excel document.
Choose “File” – “Open” and locate the report you downloaded in the previous steps. Your report will have the suffix “.lis” or ".dat" at the end of its title.
Note: You will not immediately see your report title until you change the "Files of Type" indicator, located at the bottom of the dialog box, to "All Files":
The file will be named in the following way:
your banner login _ name of report _ a number: mmacias_gwrplst_23805.txt
3. Once you have located and opened your report, Excel will open the 3-step “Text Import Wizard” dialog box. Perform the following steps:
To convert your Banner report into Word format instead of Excel format, follow the directions below.
You must perform the "Step 1 -- Downloading your Report" steps at the top of this page first, before you begin the process outlined below.
Leave everything as it is and press "OK."
4. When you view your Word report, you might find that it does not fit on the page in a readable way. To get the columns to line up, change the page orientation to "Landscape" format. (Go to "File" -- "Page Setup" to get to the popup box below.)
Press OK to complete the process.
5. To make your report fit even better, you may wish to choose "Edit" - "Select All" and change the font size to "8" and the font type to "Courier New."
6. Save your document as a "Word Document" by going up to the “File” menu and choosing “Save As”. You will need to change the “Save As Type” indicator, located at the bottom of the "Save As" dialog box. Click on the down-arrow of the “Save As Type” box and scroll until you see the option ““Word Document.” Choose this option by clicking on it:
(For a Word file, choose "Word Document.")