At PCC, Google Groups serve as email lists. There are three types:
- OPT-IN CAMPUS LISTS: Location based Google Groups serve as email lists for PCC employees to join so they may send and receive emails as part of a collaborative group. Employees at that campus (and other interested employees) can communicate via email as a group without having to know the email addresses of every campus employee.
- INSTITUTIONAL LISTS: Staff are automatically added to job related Google Groups such as email@example.com, which is used to communicate to all part time faculty. All part-time faculty members are automatically added to the list. There are lists for employees in other job types including management, classified, FT faculty, and AP. If you have questions as to why you are not a member of a Banner-generated group based on your employee status, contact Julie Kinney, Manager of HR Information Systems.
- OTHER GOOGLE GROUPS: Employees and students can create their own Google Groups for email lists, to chare access to files in Google Drive, and to send calendar invitations.
Sending an Email Message to a Group
Some groups require that you apply for membership to the group before you can send out email messages. To join a group, follow the directions above ("Joining a Group").
If you are already a member of the group, or don't need special permission to post messages, here's how to send an email message to a group:
Compose an email message. In the "To" line of the message, type in the email address associated with the group. To determine the email address of the group, use this naming convention:
If you don't know the exact name of the group you want, you can look it up. Go to PCC Google Groups (see the first picture on this page, above) and perform a search to find the name of the Group. Use the naming convention described above to determine the email address, based on the name.
Starting a New Group (Email List)
You can get started creating an email group by going to your PCC email, accessing PCC Google Groups (see first picture on this page, above), then clicking on the "Create" button. Follow the prompts to set up your Group. The handout below will help you get started.
You can create a Google Group that functions like a department or program email account – that is, one that is not associated with a specific individual's email address. Follow the directions below to set up this type of Google Group:
Unsubscribe from a Group
You can stop receiving email from any PCC Google Group (except Banner-generated lists and the all-campus email list) by performing the following steps.
- Send a blank email (no text in the body of the message) to the email address associated with the Group you want to stop receiving email from (for example, firstname.lastname@example.org).
- In the Subject Line of the email message, type the word UNSUBSCRIBE.
- You will get an email asking you to confirm that you want to leave the Group.
To unsubscribe from the all-campus email list, you must unsubscribe from each campus email list you belong to.
If you’re not sure which campus email groups you belong to, access PCC Google Groups (see first picture on this page, above) and click on My Groups to get a list of all the Groups you are part of.
Joining a Group
To join a campus or center opt-in list click the link below - it some cases the group owner may need to approve your request to join
If the Google Group you're interested in is not listed above, follow the instructions below to search
- Log into PCC email.
- Click on the Google Apps "grid" icon, located near the upper right of your screen.
- Choose "Groups" from the list.
- In the search field at the top, type the name of the group (or a keyword), then press Enter.
- Find the name of the group you want.
- In some cases you will need to select "See all __" to view all of the groups that match your search.Click on the name of the group you want.
- Click on the option that has to do with joining the group. You may see a "Join Group" button, or a link – "Apply for Membership".
Which Groups Am I Already Part Of?
To find out which Google Groups you are already in, access PCC Google Groups (see first picture on this page, above), then click to select "My Groups." You will see a list of Google Groups you belong to.
Please note that you cannot look up which non-Google Groups you are part of (see "Other Email Lists" section above) using these directions.
What are the Characteristics of a Group / Email List?
- An Email List (or Group) is designed to work as a discussion tool for a collaborative group of users.
- In contrast, an email Contact Group (for example, a group of your friends' email addresses), can be created in your individual email account, but it is owned and managed by you alone; others cannot make use of it
For More Information
- For List Owners
- How Users Can Subscribe Themselves to a Group [pdf] (or request to join)