PCC Math SAC- Approved February 12, 2016
EXAM PROCTORING GUIDELINES AND EXPECTATIONS
For many courses, the PCC Math SAC requires that some exams are proctored. The purpose of this document is to clarify what is meant by “proctored” and to provide guidelines and expectations for approved proctors.
DEFINITION OF A PROCTORED EXAM:
A proctored exam is an assessment administered under the supervision of the course instructor or an approved proctor who guarantees the procedural integrity and security of the exam and ensures that the rules and requirements of the exam are followed.
DEFINITION OF AN APPROVED PROCTOR:
An approved proctor is a person approved by the course instructor who agrees to abide by the proctoring expectations required by the PCC Math SAC. An approved proctor cannot have a personal relationship with the student. Approved proctors can often be found at college testing centers, corporate testing centers, military testing centers, and educational services at correctional institutions.
EXPECTATIONS OF A PROCTOR BEFORE ADMINISTERING AN EXAM:
- If possible, try to find a quiet location for the student to take the exam where you can consistently monitor the student during the exam.
- Confirm the student’s identity by checking their photo identification.
- Ask the student to store any prohibited belongings (cell phones and other electronic devices, keys that may have flash drives attached, notes, books, purses, backpacks, etc.) somewhere safe and inaccessible during the exam. It is recommended that you do not take responsibility for the student’s belongings.
- Review the exam instructions with the student, including the time allotted for the exam and what resources and tools will be available for use during the exam. Permitted materials, if any, will be listed on the exam instructions provided by the instructor.
EXPECTATIONS OF A PROCTOR DURING THE ADMINISTRATION OF AN EXAM:
- While a student is taking an exam, it is your responsibility to ensure to the best of your ability that cheating does not occur. Although you are not expected to watch the student constantly during the entire exam, it is important that the student is consistently monitored in a way that ensures the following do not occur:
○ Using prohibited documents
○ Viewing of another student’s work
○ Using prohibited electronic devices
○ Accessing additional browser windows or applications on the computer
○ Recording (in any fashion) of the exam questions and/or answers
- After the student has completed their exam, collect all scrap paper that was used and either dispose of it or return it with the exam (if requested by the instructor).
EXPECTATIONS OF A PROCTOR AFTER ADMINISTERING EXAM:
- Return the exam and all scratch paper (if requested by the instructor) using the methods outlined in the exam instructions.
- If the instructor has not requested that the hardcopy of the exam be returned, destroy all exam materials once the instructor has confirmed receipt of the completed exam.