FOLLOW THIS PAGE: We will be posting updates here regularly. You can be automatically notified when there's a change by clicking the ... then theicon in the upper right corner of this page
These tips will help navigate the changes and quirks of Banner 9...read through them all or click on a link below to jump to the appropriate section.
If you see a "query mode only" message in a Banner page you should be able to make entries to, try exiting to the menu. Accessing a page from another page often results in the restrictions or permissions from the initial page "following" you.
Important: Always Sign Out of Banner 9 when you are done working
If a page is not responding, there may be a warning or error message in the "notification center" (upper right corner of the screen) that you need to click to acknowledge. (Read more...)
Banner 9 is a little slower than Banner 8 and so it doesn't do so well if you try and "type-ahead". If you type a page name and press enter very quickly, it may surprise you by bringing up a different page.
Having the BANNER menu open pushes the right hand scroll bars, buttons, and tools menu out of sight, like this:
Close the menu to show scroll bar, tools, and buttons at bottom right
- In Banner 9 sometimes the system carries forward some data item when it might not be expected. We call this being "sticky" (the old value "sticks"). For example:
- Sometimes a G# is sticky - a G# you worked on earlier appears at the top of a Banner 9 page, even though you have worked in another G# after. Always check the G# before making changes.
- Sometimes when you run several reports in a row, the report name gets sticky and it won't change at the top of Job Submission, even though you have select or entered a different report name. You have to retype the report name in the Process field at the top of GJAPCTL (Job Submission), like this:
Navigating in Banner 9
- Find your “My Banner” in the upper left corner by clicking this button.
- Type in a Banner screen name by clicking this button.
- View a list of the pages you've used in the current login session by clicking this button
- Return to the Main menu by clicking this button
- Occasionally a field label will appear as data when you switch forms. When this happens, you'll see a red warning message in the field (see below):
False Running in "Running in query mode" message.
The issue you are encountering is due to how Banner will take the security level of the page (or pages) you visited prior, and apply them to the current page you are on. For example, if you were in a query only page like SFAREGQ, then moved into SOATEST, the level of security (query only) from SFAREGQ would then apply to SOATEST, and you would receive the "Running in query mode" message. To alleviate this issue, you will want to close out of each of the open pages by clicking the "X" in the upper left corner of the page. Do this for all open pages until you return back to the Welcome screen. Once at the welcome screen you can then enter SOATEST and when you access the page you should have the ability to make editing changes. Another option to clear the query only mode is to open a new banner session by opening a new tab and logging into banner, or copying and pasting the banner URL into a new tab.
Issues related to specific forms
- FWIDETL, GWIPORT, GWILOOK, and PWAELVE are in Argos only.
- GUAMESG no longer shows a "message waiting" indicator on the menu; to see if there are messages for you, type GUAMESG in the menu
- GWAADHO has been discontinued. If you want to run an ad hoc, just type the report or job name (such as "ts_feeload") in the menu and it will bring up the ad hoc page.
- GWAADDR has been discontinued. Please use SPAIDEN for students or PPAIDEN for employees.
- FGIBDSR in Banner 9 requires that you 'uncheck' the Include Revenue check box in order to get positive numbers. In Banner 8 it was just the reverse.
- SWAINST has been replaced with SIAINST
Related tips for other products
- Using Image Now, after you have entered the G number, you must click "GO" before you can attach a document.
- Report Viewer works the same - connect from the MyPCC Employee tab